Add an Overlay to Video
This is more for security applications like a dash cam setup, or education environments where student projects are pre-labeled, rather than for creative applications, as it will modify the video image with text that can’t be removed.
If either horizontal or vertical size is zero, the size will be computed automatically.
Overlay vertical size 40
Overlay horizontal size 0
Offset from the edge 10
Note: All text box support \n for a new line.
Any start message here:
Add Time with format Remove by emptying this field.
- HH - Hour
- MM - Minute
- SS - Second
- aa - am/pm (also switches off 24 hour time)
- AA - AM/PM (also switches off 24 hour time)
Add Date with format Remove by emptying this field.
- yy - year in two digit format
- yyyy - year in four digit format
- mm - month (1-12)
- dd - day (1-31)
Display Metadata (experimental)
Any end message here:
GPS On or Off
Make the overlay permanently active: Are you sure? (Risky)
QR Command: time
- Metadata overlays work great with live-streaming. This was its original intended function.
- Overlays can be changed mid capture, it is one of the few modes that QR Code reading is defaulted to active while recording. Example use: When live streaming an endurance auto-race, you can change the driver name on the overlay during driver change pit-stops.
- A range (not all) of GoPro metadata can be displayed in their stored units, so speed is in meters/sec, not MPH. For more technical information on GoPro’s GPMF Metadata and other metadata you can display.
- The Permanent mode was not safe on HERO8 Labs v1.70.75, fixed in the 2021 release. Update to 2021 Labs firmware before using this feature.
- Metadata can take a second before it updates after capture start.